Candlelight Ceremony - What To Expect
Munka
2012-12-09 02:44:07 UTC
Hi All, I just got back from an evening trip with the family and afte
watching both the 5:30 and 7:30 (which was cancelled mid-way becaus
of some drizzle) performances I've brought back some info on what t
expect at this year's candlelight

Lottery Winners Viewing - **Update 12/02 thanks to malcon10t** ther
will be several different areas of check in. Your ticket will have
section color on it (Section Blue or Section Yellow, etc...). In fron
of the Mickey Floral, about 45 mins before the performance, they wil
have a board with where the line is for each color

Standard Viewing - For those who have attended Candlelight events i
the past few years this aspect will feel very very familiar, and i
should because the mechanics are almost exactly the same
Unfortunately, that also means the politics of getting a good viewin
spot for Candlelight also returns this year

For the first (5:30pm) performance there are little to no boundarie
set aside for camping out and once again there are some areas wher
the "first come, first to the front" rule will not apply an
you will get no support by cast members or security, so good luck. Th
safest bets are still to camp on the curb adjacent the Opera House o
across the way on the small stretch of curb immediately adjacent t
City Hall, and as always ask a CM or better yet guest control shif
lead and a security guard if it's safe to camp there as the tw
business units sometimes don't know one another's plans

For the second and final (7:30pm) performance I don't recommend th
method of slipping into a good viewing area while the firs
performance is going on in order to get up front for the second. Th
reason is because security will promptly flush everyone out of th
viewing areas so that they can be broken down a bit to allow foo
traffic to flow through. If you show up for the 7:30 performance yo
really only have two options. The first is you can wait in a long lin
that starts forming along main street, something that every CM an
security person will tell you to do (but won't mention to you tha
there's a line for wheelchairs and a different line for everyone els
so be careful). Or, you can pop into any of the remaining viewin
areas that haven't been broken down, the ones I know of for sure ar
on the curb next to the Disney Showcase and the Mad Hatter. Ther
probably are some across the way by the fire house too but I'm no
sure. Being in these pen's basically assures that no CM will tell yo
to keep shuffling down main street and at the same time, as soon a
they start letting people back into the better viewing spaces you ca
easily hop from one area to the other and get a great spot

As always the easiest viewing areas to get to are the ones that ru
down main street. Keep in mind though that you will still be require
to stand and the stage is only 10% viewable at best

Foot Traffic - As with any other event foot traffic is a mess. Lookin
from the hub towards the Christmas tree, any traffic exiting the par
must go down the right side of main street while inbound traffic come
up through the left. Expect traffic to crawl and come to a sto
several times. Some shops along main street closed their doors, and
can't blame them because just tonight I witnessed an ECV driver wrec
an ornament display over at the China Closet during the traffic snar
going on moments after the last Candlelight ended

Cast Members - Unfortunately like years past the CMs have little ide
what is going on. While they do get points for knowing certai
logistical elements like where every viewing area is, what time th
events will begin and end, and where event ticket holders can chec
in. They are reluctant to answer questions about where it i
appropriate to camp, where exactly can you get in line for the 7:3
showing (some will tell you it's in the front by the turnstiles whic
is false.. this is only the line for the AP lottery winners holding
ticket), or if it is okay to mill about in a viewing area that ha
been set up but doesn't have guests in it yet. Your best bet is to as
for or find the shift leads (they're usually the ones in the navy blue
sweaters and have the earpieces or walkie-talkies.

Guests/Viewing Audience - Okay, the last thing I want to mention is
the viewing audience. For you, the experienced Candlelight goer, this
is going to be the most drastic change from any of the other
Candlelights and I believe it is specifically related to the slight
bump in this event's in-park advertising as well as it's extended
multi-night run this year. I would say it's a safe bet this year to
expect that some people in your viewing area will pack up and leave
well before the performance is finished. It may even even be a benefit
because if a party that's been standing in front of you happens to
leave you may have just found yourself unobstructed viewing for the
awesome finale.

Based on my personal experience some people just had no idea what they
were getting themselves into and had become bored of the "less
than spectacle for their tastes" event that they were witnessing.
And by the third reading several groups had turned around and left
because apparently hearing the story of Christmas told by the
President of The United States in 24 (Dennis Haysbert) and epic
Christmas songs being sung by a massive choir isn't really worth
seeing unless fireworks start exploding everywhere and Murphy comes
tearing out of the ground to fight the one and only lord and savior
(Mickey).

Anywhoo, with this in mind you have a very very very good chance that
if you happen to arrive late to candlelight you can easily slip into
any of the viewing areas with plenty of breathing room.

Please note that some of my tips may not apply for the performances
where Dick Van Dyke is narrating as there may be many of his fans in
the masses, like me, coming down to see him rock the story of
Christmas.

I hope you all have a great time at Candlelight this year, hopefully
some of my tips will help you have a really happy and incident free
time!
Patty Winter
2012-12-09 03:07:16 UTC
Munka, thanks for the great tips for watching this event.
Although I've been to Disneyland around the holidays, it's
never been on the Candlelight nights. As you noted, it used
to be on only a handful of nights, right? That's great that
they've now expanded it.

Coincidentally, I just watched an episode of "NUMB3RS" in
which Lou Diamond Phillips guest starred.

Well, maybe one of these years I'll catch this!

Patty